Thursday, June 6, 2013

Last day in Barcelona and flight to Granada, Spain




We have had a great time in Barcelona. I apologise for my tardy blogging, and my epic fail with missing out on the Sagreda Familia. Today we are flying to the south of Spain to Granada, the last great stronghold of The Moors that I spoke about recently. This region is also home to bullfighting, Flamenco, and Moorish cuisine.

Often you find yourself in a city with a gap in the day between checking out of your accomodation, and your flight departure. A good way to spend the time is at a Art Gallery. No, seriously. Think about it. You can check your bags in, while you visit the art gallery. They have nice toilets, and a decent cafe. So, that's what we did. We went to the Joan Miro museum at Montjuic.

Our taxi driver dropped us with our bags at the museum, we checked them in at the lockers, and filled in the time. We had a nice lunch at the cafe, and our taxi driver met us at 2.30pm to take us to the airport.

Too easy.

I don't know if I'm getting fatter, or the aircraft's seats are getting smaller. It was only an hour and a half flight to Granada, so no major problem. Flew with Iberia. No problema.

As I write this I'm in Granada. It's beautiful. The snow capped mountains of the Siera Nevada frame this amazing old city. We are staying in the old city at San Pedro.



We have booked four nights with Airbnb again. We have a lovely two bedroom apartment with an internal coutyard. It's warmer down here, despite snow still being on the high Siera Nevada mountains.

When I arrive in a new city after a flight I normally go to the store or supermarket to buy groceries. Actually I had no idea where to go, but kept walking down the hill, until we saw someone with grocery bags. Always a good sign.

The best thing about the supermarket is that it had Horchata!

We were able to go to the Flamenco that was on at a Taverna in San Pedro. In Granada they retain the custom of serving Tapas with every drink sold, which is nice.

Further information

Joan Miro museum - http://fundaciomiro-bcn.org/?id'ioma=2

Granada - http://wikitravel.org/en/Granada_(Spain)

About 30 Euros by taxi from Granada Airport.