Sunday, July 26, 2009

Fiji Trip - Day two: Denarau Island

We awoke to one of those beautiful days that the South Pacific is justifiably famous; from our balcony, to the left, we could see the sea (pictured below)


Straight ahead we looked out over the gardens to the adult pool (pictured below)


Breakfast was a buffet by the sea.


After breakfast we strolled along the beach with the vague intention of making it to Port Denarau.


Instead we made it to the Hilton, where we paid the $5 to catch the Bula Bus to Port Denaru (pictured below).




Yees Express Supermarket at Port Denarau must be the most expensive supermarket in the world, where a 220gm jar of Vegemite sells for $8.99.



A 1 litre bottle of Jack Daniels fine Tennessee Whiskey was selling for $161 Fijian compared to the price of $50 at the duty free shop at the airport. Trip Advisor reviews had warned of the exorbitant prices for alcohol at the hotels, and advised purchasing all the alcohol for your trip from the duty free shops at the airport. I must confess I took their advice and happened to purchase a one litre bottle of Jack Daniels from the airport, that’s why I know it was $50, but only because that was the only size bottle they had – honestly it was.

At sunset there is a special event at the Raddisson Hotel. A Fijian warrior carrying a flaming torch, wearing a grass skirt, and followed by little kids dressed in grass skirts, like the Pied Piper, runs around the resort shadowed by his little cohort lighting all the bamboo torches throughout the resort.

We caught the Bula Bus to Port Denarau for dinner at one of the outdoor restaurants by the marina. Now, I must warn you that I’ve read many bad reviews about Fijian food, and I had it confirmed for sure tonight. “The worst food I’ve ever had in my life” Louise said. I have to agree- you don't go to Fiji for the food. However the weather is perfect, the temperature is just right at 29 degrees, and the people are friendly. I find myself slowing down, slowing right down to "Fiji time" - the best time.