Thursday, June 27, 2013

In Bruges



The thought of anything exciting happening in Bruges is actually pretty funny once you've visited the place. I have to admit I haven't seen the movie, In Bruges, yet, but I can't wait after visiting Bruges on Monday. People I have spoken to in Ghent find the whole idea hilarious. Apparently, nobody goes to Bruges except tourists. One local told me the story about an American tourist who asked what time Bruges closed, like it was an amusement park. Everyobdy it seems has a funny story about Bruges.


Anyway, I went with an open mind, and with the usual amount of research, I caught the tram to St Pieters Station, and then the 45 minute train ride to Bruges. A return trip costs 12.60 Euros from the vending machine. I set off North from the station aiming for a church steeple in the distance, which is always a good bet in Europe if you have absolutely no idea. I also followed the tourists, and that is another a good sign that you are on the right track.


 Bruges is actually not bad as a tourist destination, because it so small. It's only a short distance from the main train station, and it's quite compact, easy walking distance to the main attractions. It's also very cute, like cookie cutter cute. It's very well preserved, and don't think anything has changed much in five hundred years, and I bet in five hundred years people will still be coming to Bruges.


I actually walked completely through Bruges the first time, because I thought it would be bigger until I reached the canal on the Northern side of the town. Of course I had no map, or travel guide on my Kindle. I soon came to my senses, and returned to the centre of town, which is the market square (above). After you spend enough time in Europe you know where to go.


The Townhall is close to the market square (above). Bruges was one of those canal towns that flourished in the early Middle Ages, due to it's proximity to the sea, and ability to transport goods cheaply via it's canals. It's closer to the Atlantic than Ghent, which was a source of friction between the two places.



I did find a not bad ice cream shop called Da Vinci on Noordzand Straat. It was quite popular, and I wandered around eating my icecream cone. It was quite a pleasant little town, and adorably cute of course. You can easily see everything in 3 hours, so it might be just a half day trip, and then maybe continue on to Antwerp, Ghent or back to Brussels. It would be about an hour and a quarter to Brussels on the train.



I should mention that they have this thing in Belgium where you pay to go to the toilet, well, at least in Bruges. There is a lady who looks after the toilets, and you pay half a Euro to use the facilities. Well, they are clean I guess.

Anyway, that  was my afternoon in Bruges. No shoot outs, chases, or any excitement really. I did get asked to take a photograph from some tourists, but that was about it.

I escaped back to Ghent on the train.

TRAVEL INFO


Map of Bruges
How to get there: By train, short walk or bus ride from station. 12.60 Euro return from Ghent (45 mins)

Bruges Tourist web site - http://bezoekers.preview.brugge.be/en

Where to eat:
Da Vinci Icecream shop - good icecream
Noordzand Straat
Bruges

TRAVEL TIPS:

-  Bruges is compact & you can see most of it in 3 hrs.