Monday, June 22, 2015

Movie World on the Gold Coast


It was overcast thing this morning and I had half decided to go to the cinema, but then the sun came out and I planned on going to my first theme park, Sea World. As readers know my travel plans rarely go to plan, sometimes I even end up in completely different countries! In any case the first bus that came along was going to Movie World, so I hopped on that, again completely make a mockery of my planning. You might have heard of Movie World on the Gold Coast, because surprisingly enough movies are still actually made on the Gold Coast. You also might not know that Australia was a pioneer of the film industry, but like many of our innovative industries, they are not always developed to their full potential. Having said that Australia has a movie industry that has fluctuated considerably over the decades from Picnic at Hanging Rock to Crocodile Dundee. However, lately Australian films have had a revival and if you haven't seen Mad Max Fury Road yet you should, because its one of the best action films in the last decade.


Movie World is about twenty minute bus ride North of Surfers Paradise, and there were exactly eight people on the bus including the driver, and four slightly apprehensive Chinese female tourists. School holidays start next week, and it seems every kid in Queensland has a season pass to the theme parks, so avoiding school holidays. like I'm doing, is the best thing to preserve your sanity.


I was surprised there were quite a number of people in Movie World, but nowhere like the Children Crusade in the school holidays. I saw one quite well known Sydney celebrity out with the family, perhaps baffled why nobody recognised him. On this note, unlike some other countries, generally a celebrity or politician is 'off duty' when they are with their family, so its good form to leave them alone to enjoy their family time.



This is the Superman ride, and on my last trip I was dared by my nephews to go on this. All I can say that if you go on this ride you never have to prove your courage in any other way. You may get this Disneyland vibe going down main street, however thats about it - Movie World is relatively tiny in comparison, but on the plus side you don't have the queues like Disneyland either.



Of all the glorious deaths one could have, falling into a vat of chocolate like the fat kid in Charlie and the Chocolate factory, would be up there on my list, along with dying in my bed at an old age with my fifth wife, Bambi, but I digress. This store is full of chocolate and candy and clearly one could eat oneself to an early, but inglorious death.


This show was amazing, not the girls dressed as Cat Woman, but this is the first time I've seen the infamous 'Selfie Stick' in action. This photograph is so 'avant garde' - the photographer taken a photo of another photographer, so artistic......


If it all gets too much, and it appeared all too much for some dads (yes, they were all dads) you can have a beer in the appropriate named, Dirty Harry Bar. Poor mums never get a break it seems.



This is my favourite ride, Wild West falls, particularly on a hot day. You know the drop is coming, you can see it as you walk in, but that makes it more fun some how. Don't sit up the front like stupid, me, did.

Regarding food options I wouldn't hazzard an opinion. There are a number of options that generally involve food fried, baked or covered in chocolate and or all of the above. As a theme park veteran, I've been to every Disneyland in the world (LA, Florida, Euro and Honker) I brought my own food - its that liquid orange cheese that did it for me in America. 'The horror, the horror.'

Movie World is small, but fun, and not too taxing on the nerves, Superman ride exempted. If you have half a day this would be perfect, and dads can always disappear to the Dirty Harry bar. Movie World probably appeals most of all to small kids and it has some excellent rides and a driving school for little kids that was tremendously popular. Gold Coast has lots of theme parks and for parents Movie World is a good one to go to first to get conditioned for some of the larger and longer day excursions.

Travel Info

Movie World website - http://movieworld.com.au

Theme Park tickets - http://themeparks.com.au