Friday, June 26, 2015

Gold Coast to Sydney

It was a perfect Queensland day and I'm flying back to Sydney this afternoon. I had a blip this morning when I got a text that the flight was ca
ncelled due to an enginerring issue, but I was able to get on a later flight, so no big deal. I reccomend ringing the airlines help desk early so you have a better chance to get on another flight. I don't mind a flight getting cancelled due to an engineering issue, because its safer than trying to fly with a busted plane. I feel reassured that Australian airlines are maintaining their great air safety record.

I was actually going to do more on this trip, but the weather wasn't the best. One thing I forgot to mention is that I got a three theme park VIP pass for $99 AUD for unlimited visits until the 30th June to Sea World, Movie World and Wet and Wild. I think they are owned by the same company, so generally it pays to google 'Theme Parks Gold Coast' and you can find a good deal to save money.

The Outback Spectacular Show and the Australian 'Bushman' mythology

The Outback Spectacular  - http://outbackspectacular.com.au

Apart from Theme Parks, there are a number of good day cruises, but one of my favourites is the Outback Spectacular Show featuring a taste of Australia and some first class horse riding. Plus, you get a typical outback three course meal. Just as America has the cowboy, we have the 'Bushman' or 'the outback frontiersman' mythology, and this show introduces you to one of our key national themes. Its also central to the 'ANZAC' or the Australian mythology of the Australian soldier who can 'out ride and out shoot' our opponents because of our 'Bushman skills' learnt in the Australian outback. In my case I can certainly shoot very well, and have spent plenty of time in the bush, but I've been thrown from horses too many times to mention, but I'm certainly the worst horse rider in my family, although the others are quite good. I did go horse riding along the beach in Fiji on my last trip, and stayed on. Needless to say you will see some great horse riding in the Outback Spectacular Show and particularly 'stockman skills', which is analogous to the American cowboy in our culture.

Now, travelling to Gold Coast airport is exactly the opposite. I had another blip when my 'Go Card' didn't work, but you can buy a paper based ticket for $8.60 AUD to the aiport, which translates to zone 18. As stated earlier I used to catch the hotel shuttle bus for about $30, but the public bus, # 777,  is much cheaper.

Gold Coast airport is nothing flash with just six gates, and you have to walk across the tarmac 'old school style'. Note the benches at the front of the terminals have power outlets to charge all your electronics. I'm still using my trusty IPAD Mini with the Logitech keyboard and now all my family are sold on them (the girls like them because they fit in their handbags!). Remember Google Maps will work if you save for example the Gold Coast map to your IPAD, this handier of course in Europe navigating the medieval city streets. The only thing I would do different is probably get the cellular option for the IPAD Mini, because you can get data only SIM cards to use in them.

Its only around a one hour flight to Sydney, basically nothing for us. That's why the Gold Coast is perfect for a short break.

There is nothing like flying into Sydney around dusk, with the city and harbour bathed in an amber light, truly one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Anyway I'm off to watch the Rugby now, hope you enjoyed my relatively short trip to the Gold Coast, and follow my future travel adventures.


Travel Information 

Theme Park tickets - http://themeparks.com.au

The Outback Spectacular - http://outbackspectacular.com.au