Friday, July 23, 2010

Canterbury and Hastings, UK

I walked up to Avis at Earls Court to pick up the hire car. I saved money by ordering and paying up front on the internet a few weeks ago, and because I was one of the first 200 customers that month in a special promotion I received 20% off. If you take a hire car outside the country you will have to pay additional insurance. In our case five nights in Ireland will cost an extra 75 pounds. I was well pleased with the final amount considering we will have the car for 24 nights. The flexibility of a car in my opinion is far better than waiting around for trains, planes, or paying constantly for taxis.

I’ve hired a Renault Megane (I’ve never heard of it either), and I must admit it took me a few minutes to work out how to start it. You don’t have a key as such – it’s a card that you slot in, and then you press the start button. It’s a manual 1.6 cylinder. Well, I think it is. I actually got lost in the car park trying to find the exit, so I was off to a good start.

The traffic getting out of London is horrendous. It is the worst I've ever experienced. It would drive you nuts driving here. I think I’m safe in saying that you would never get of London without a GPS, or a divorce. I would say its mandatory, especially as my model warns me of upcoming speed and traffic cameras, and it’s a wonder anyone still holds a license in the UK.
It probably takes a good hour to get out of the city. But once you’re on the motorway its fine.


Our first stop was Canterbury, home of Canterbury Cathedral. Unfortunately the Cathedral was closed today for a service.


This is as we could get (pictured above).

We had a strolled around the old town, and stopped for some lunch at a restaurant by the river. This is me studying the driving manual to work out how to get the car in reverse (pictured below).



We pass through those rolling green fields of England, and to the town of Hastings. If you watch the BBC you will know that it is the setting for Folye’s War, about a police detective during WW2. If you have read history books you will know that there was a big battle near here in 1066.

Hastings is a classic English beach side town that you have seen on television before.


This is Hastings Beach (pictured above) - you can see why the English love Bondi beach.

The old pier is decommissioned. In fact the whole town looks like it has seen better days.

There is a tram contraption that takes you up to the top of the hill for a fine view over Hastings (Pictured above).

We’re staying at The Whitehouse. It’s our first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Our host, Suzie, was very welcoming. Our room, The Van Burren, was immaculate with old world charm (pictured below).

I would recommend The Italian Way restaurant on the main street for dinner. They made great pasta and gave excellent service.

Tomorrow we are off to Battle, the scene of the Battle of Hastings. Then move on to Brighton, and maybe Portsmouth. See, there is a plan. I’m just not making it up as I go along.
Although having said that, the plan and what actually happens may have no resemblance to each other. I know some of you may have picked up that we didn't make it to Dover today. But that's the beauty of a car. You're not beholden to a timetable. You can actually make it up as you go along.
.........................................................................................................................................................................
FACTS SHEET:
The Whitehouse B&B
12 Godwin Road, Hastings