Sunday, July 18, 2010

A380 Flight to London

Catching a plane overseas is one part excitement, one part anxiety - Have I forgotten something? Where’s my passport? Have you got the tickets? Did I leave something on? I know I’ve forgotten something.

One question you have to answer is how are you going to get to the airport? Fortunately, Louise’s mum is driving us to the airport. Thanks Ann. It’s one less thing to worry about, right?

I love the bustle of airports, and international airports in particular. The bustle of people, the last minute boarding calls, everyone doing something, going somewhere. The exciting thing about an International Airport is that in twenty four hours you can be on the other side of the world.

We are flying Qantas. Apart from being our national airline it has the enviable reputation as never having had a crash. I find that reassuring.

The Qantas A380 looked and smelt new, like that new car smell. The seat felt more spacious. It's more comfortable with extra padding, and with neck support. There are AC power points (Australian) at the bottom of the seat in front to keep your laptop charged the whole flight.

The touch screen monitor has been upgraded with more features. The best new feature is the Skycam, which is a camera in the tail where you can view the aircraft anytime (pictured below)


The takeoff is smooth, effortless, and eerily quiet, with none of the bumps, or noise of a 747.
Likewise when cruising there is less noise, but like the take off, it’s a smooth ride.

Watching the skycam as the plane descended into Singapore was fun, like playing a computer flight simulator. It's was hot in the terminal waiting for the plane to be refuelled. We will be stopping in Singapore for two nights on the way back.

Then, I did something I've never been able to do - fall asleep on a plane. I managed to sleep four or five hours, however the last few hours of the flight I found myself my watching and willing that little figure of a plane to move faster across the flight map.

We arrived at London early, and we had to wait for the curfew to lift, so the plane stayed in the holding pattern enabling us to see some glorious views over London.

TRAVELLER'S TIP: The A380 is a definite improvement, and we both arrived in much better shape. Qantas currently have six A380s in their fleet, so it's well worth it to try and get on a flight.

Qantas Website: http://www.qantas.com.au/