Thursday, July 26, 2018

Oslo to Dubai & two very different cultures


It’s hard to leave Norway when there’s not a cloud in the sky. I’ve had a really good time up here, and met some amazing people. I will definitely be back again.


The fastest way to Oslo airport is with the airport express. It costs 190 NOK (around $40 AUD), and takes around 30 minutes. This is fast compared to the regular train that takes forever as the airport is 60km outside the city.

If your flying with Qantas from here you will be checking in with their partner, Emirates. I think it’s about 7 hours from Oslo to Dubai.

This is going to be long 36 hours of travel from Oslo to Dubai, then Dubai to Perth, and onto Sydney with delays at each stop. I should be home around 11am on Saturday morning Australian time. The worst part of travel is the flight home.



Dubai airport’s distinguishing feature, apart from its size, are all those golf cart like vehicles whizzing around, and their constant beeping. I’m sure the passengers simply can’t be bothered walking, which wouldn’t surprise me because most of the two million population in the UAE can’t be bothered working, and rrely on an army of seven million foreign workers.

I can’t help but notice I’m a long way from Northern Europe now, and Luther with the Protestant Work Ethic. They used to say “Idle hands are the devils workshop.’ I wonder what will happen here when the oil runs out?

There are vastly different attitudes to female empowerment too in this region than Nordic countries who top the world lists for gender equality. Well, Saudi Arabian women can now drive...baby steps.

I don’t know if you could get any more different cultures than Northern Europe, and the Gulf States or the Middle East in general. Interestingly, particularly in Sweden, Norway, and Germany they are conducting a great social experiment by combining the two cultures through immigration. Culture is historically really hard to change, but Europe needs workers to care for an ageing, and dwindling population. However, the politics, as I’ve spoken about, are turning against the idea. Merkel is weakened politically after the German elections, Norway has reduced its refugee intake to around 2,000 a year, and the polls point to a right wing victory in Sweden.

Anyway, two more hours before my plane leaves for Perth. Now, if I only stop the beeping of those bloody feral golf carts.

We arrived in Perth around midnight, and waited until 5am for the flight to Sydney. Note there are 4 terminals at Perth airport, and there is a shuttle bus from between the terminals. Terminal 4 is owned by Qantas, which was where I headed.

I finally arrived in Sydney on Saturday around lunchtime after my marathon journey. I hope you enjoyed following me on my Berlin, and Nordic adventure. Stay tuned for my next travels hiking, and camping in Australia over the next few months. Plus, showing you around my hometown, Sydney.