Saturday, July 21, 2018

Norway: A walk to Hellvik (beach)


Another 30 degree celsius day, so I'm off to Helvikk beach (pictured above) - I know what your thinking - not much of a beach by Australian standards, but I’ll take it on a sunny day. The beach on the rights seems to be for families and the left hand side beach I guess is the adult beach. As it is the only thing that passes for a beach in this area it was quite packed.


There's a lovely coastal walk, and a network of paths up to Flaskebekk if your staying up there, like me. You will probably need Google Maps to navigate your way, but its nicer than walking along the road. There is this concept of a 'right of access' to the water in Nordic countries, so I think this is why there are so many paths in this area.


This is Ursvik, next door to Hellvik, and in the far distance across the water is the city of Oslo. A city of two million people, but you could be a world away on this peninsula.