Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sydney Airport, via the Qantas First Class Lounge, to Heathrow, UK

I'm on the way to Sydney Airport, by train. I find it easier just to get the train, that way I don't have to put in anyone out to drive me to the airport, or pay for a taxi. It's usually cheaper to catch the train to and from airports, although sometimes the pricing varies considerably. For some reason it costs me $17.30.

Although, I now consider myself a backpacker, I have not completely abandoned my hedonistic lifestyle, and am writing this entry from the Qantas First Class Lounge, which I can confirm is everything you have heard about, and more. I've just enjoyed prosciutto wrapped chicken on polenta with fresh greens. I topped that off with some exquisite Pistachio and white chocolate gelato, whilst enjoying the ambience of classical music. It is all very civilised, and a taste of how 'the other half live'.

Unfortunately, we have not managed an upgrade to a First Class seat, but the Economy seat on a A380 is better than on the smaller jets in my opinion; the seats are padded with neck rests, and just slightly bigger that seems to make all the difference. I was lucky enough to receive some Bose earphones that cancel a substantial amount of  the cabin noise, and improves the audio quality out of sight for the movies. They are definitely worth the investment.

Qantas have partnered with Emirates, so we stop in Dubai now, which opens many more connections into Europe. It was around 13 hour flight there, but with the next leg substantially shorter at around six to seven hours to London. Many passengers did a Stop Over in Dubai, which is a good way to break up the long fight, and a chance to see a country that may be unfamiliar to many Australians.

Most passengers, including myself, went to sleep just after Take Off from Dubai, and woke up for breakfast over Europe, and then it was about time for descent into the United Kingdom. What you are trying to do of course is to try and adjust the body to the new time zone, by sleeping when you would be sleeping in the new time zone. You are trying to fight the Jet Lag, and it does seem to work, because you are not a total wreck for that first day.

We arrived in London right on time at 6.40am London time to a warm English welcome of grey skies and drizzling cold rain.