Thursday, July 3, 2014

Packing for Europe: Why you need a checklist

When you travel it helps to have a checklist.

I was packing for our flight to Europe tomorow and I was going through the ehecklist I picked up that I forgot the UK power adaptor for Dubai. Generally, most countries with a British influence, use the UK power adaptor like Hong Kong, and Dubai. However, in Australia we have our own power adaptor to make it more complicated, and so does the United States. With all our electronic gadgets it also pays to have two power adaptors for each country that you are travelling through, so you can wake up and have everything charged for the day of sightseeing.

I put the most important things in my daypack to carry on the plane with a change of clothes in case, heaven forbid, the airline loses my luggage. That's always a good rule to live by, then your trip is not completely wrecked. That includes any medication you need.

As I've written about earlier my current favourite travel items are:

1. IPAD Mini tablet with keyboard cover (the 10 hour battery life and instant on feature and having all the media options - videos, games, Kindle, music etc). It weighs with the Keyboard only 500 grams, and fits into the cargo pockets of my shorts.

2. Bose noise cancellation earphones. As the name suggests this gets rid of all that cabin noise, and you arrive more refreshed in my opinion after a long flight. They come with an attachment to fit into the socket on the airplane's seats.

3. A Tracksuit

I'm wearing a tracksuit now on long haul flights (besides my jeans are too tight to sit 13 hours on one leg). It's becoming more popular now. It beats wearing pajamas! Plus, you have a good chanc of spilling something on your clothes with those precarious little airline tables, so you don't want to wear your best outfit.

4. Kindle travel guides and foreign language APPS 

I've bought some travel guides for the Kindle APP, and some language APPs for the IPAD. That way I can always have them on the IPAD and don't have to lug around travel books. There are some really good language APPs. For this trip I have Czech and German the two countries I'm definitely visiting, as for Polish and Hungarian I won't even try to learn. However, there are APPs for everything now, so you really need to get a tablet computer and leave the laptop behind.

Tomorrow, is an early flight from Sydney to Dubai, so we will be spending the night in an aiport hotel, so we just stroll over to the airport and check in the bags, and have breakfast in the Qantas club lounge.