Friday, June 6, 2014

New travel gadget - a Smart Phone with Google Maps

I'm always getting lost overseas. I got lost in Seville for half a day on my last trip. I famously got lost in Venice in the rain and my girlfriend got really sick from a cold as a result. I'll never live it down. I ruined romantic Venice.

Now, with my next trip to Central Europe I'm not getting lost anymore - famous last words. For the last few years I have been largely untethered from the world and one of the few people left on the planet without a mobile phone. This trip, because I get lost all the time, and so people can find me I've bought a Smart Phone - a Huawei G300 for $39 from Kmart.


I like the Google Maps feature that let's me know where I am and I can if I apply myself I might be able to get from point A to Point B without getting lost. I also like I can use it as a hotspot to connect my IPAD Mini to the internet.

Of course you have to buy the Pre Paid SIM cards from the various countries you'll be travelling to unless you want to have Global Roaming, which is often very expensive.

Just for the record I'm not giving up on my little button compass that I still carry around in my wallet. However, now I'm going to be easily found, anywhere in the world, and hopefully I'll be able to find myself occasionally.